Thursday 24 September 2015

How to make soft porridge (Umdoko)


 


I have always loved waking up to my grandmothers soft porridge as a child. Whether made with butter and a pinch of salt, or when she added viniger to make it sour. It was a sure way to bring warmth in any winters morning. 

Fast forward to my adult life, many think I am a good cook, but I struggle with this basic thing. Some days it would be too soft other day it looked more like stiff pap than porridge. I struggled for while but now I finally have the right measurements to make SOFT (not watery or hard) porridge and I can finally share it with you.




Soft Porridge 

Recipe

1 litre of Boiling water in a pot
1 cup of Maize meal
1 cup Cold water
Pinch of salt
Margarine
Sugar 
Milk

1. On a high heat setting, boil water in a pot or alternatively boil the water with a kettle and pour in a hot pot to keep the boiling process.
2. On a separate bowl mix the cold water and maize meal.
3. Pour over the boiling water and stir till thick. You should see the mixture bubbling. (Close the pot before you get burned) 
4. Turn down the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
5. Serve with a pinch of salt, some butter or margarine (I use margarine) 
6. Sweeten with Sugar, pour some milk and enjoy!

32 comments:

  1. Its a good recipe, almost like my grandmothers, but maybe try using butter instead of margarine for a more creamy taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its a good recipe, almost like my grandmothers, but maybe try using butter instead of margarine for a more creamy taste.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved it made it for my twins this morning thank u so much xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just made this for my girls and their mom as a surprise...didnt know how to make it but had good memories of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Real needed than Thank you for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just tried this now and I’m enjoy it. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great thanks Ayanda! How many servings are we looking at on average from your recipe? I have a tiny family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, really helped, I put too much maize meal which made it become too thick but all is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great. It is a real struggle. I could never get my head around it while others do it with no measurements.

      Delete
  9. My 17 year old son asked for pap out of the blue this morning. I had to google a recipe as his nanny used to make it for him as a child and I didn’t know how to. I decided to dish myself a bowl too. OMW! It took me straight back to my childhood. This tastes exactly like my Ouma used to make for me as a child. Thanks Ayanda, you just made my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to hear it. I am sure you felt like "mama" on that day. :)

      Delete
  10. You're so AMAZING THANK YOU!!! I was really craving for umdoko and this really helped, God Bless You!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was awesome I cooked it for the first time and it was very much delicious thank you

    ReplyDelete
  12. In all said, thanks for all the trouble , you also helped me.BUT, to serve how many people, 2, 3 , 4 , just average, thank you., This is Thabo , trying to cook porridge for the wife and son.Now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you! Tried it out for the first time, came out well. Thanks Yandi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Ayanda,
    Hope u doin great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! And yes, I am well thank you.

      Delete
  15. this actually worked out great, it was easy and super quick... thank you, and s/o to covid for making me learn things!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great. I hope like me you didn't pick up too much weight. I was cooking and eating everything under the sun. lol!

      Delete
  16. You just helped an uncle to create a very warm and sweet morning for his nephews. Ndo livhuwa Ro!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to know uncles are familiarizing themselves with the kitchen. :)
      I am glad it worked out.

      Delete
  17. I made it this morning and it was so simple. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete